Flaxseeds or botanically known as Linum usitatissimum is into edible usage past 6000 years. These tiny seeds have amazing benfits of combating cancer, lowering cholesterol levels, making the skin radiant, youthful and many more.
These seeds are small storages of many powerful antioxidants i.e. lignans, omega -3 fatty acids ‘the good fats’. Including a spoonful of them in your daily diet helps achieve new levels of health and beauty.
One tablespoon of ground flaxseeds contains the following :
- Calories: 37
- Protein: 1.3 grams
- Carbs: 2 grams
- Fiber: 1.9 grams
- Total fat: 3 grams
- Saturated fat: 0.3 grams
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5 grams
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.0 grams
- Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,597 mg
- Vitamin B1: 8% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 2% of the RDI
- Folate: 2% of the RDI
- Calcium: 2% of the RDI
- Iron: 2% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 7% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 4% of the RDI
- Potassium: 2% of the RDI
Rightly termed a ‘Superfood’, these flax seeds have innumerable health benefits.
- Prevents Cancer – Being a rich source of lignans, flaxseeds help in preventing this fatal disease. Lignans are plant compounds that have antioxidant and estrogen properties, both of which can help lower the risk of cancer and improve health. These have upto 800 times more lignans than any other plant source.
- Flaxseeds improve digestion – Flaxseeds are rich in soluble and insoluble dietary fiber, which can help prevent constipation. A tablespoon of flax seeds provide an adequate dose of daily required roughage to keep digestive system aptly functional, thereby prevents any digestiver disorders. Also they maintain an optimal level of pH (6-8) in the intestine by forming mucilage.
- Minimizes blood cholesterol level – The cholesterol levels of blood or presence of lipid content of blood has proven to be a potential precursor of heart attacks and arteries congestion. The soluble fiber content and phytosterols found in it aid in preventing the absorption of bad chloesterol in the blood stream. Clinical studies have proven to reduce 6% -11% of cholesterol on regular consumption of flax seeds.
- Diabetes – A study has found that taking a tablespoon of ground flax seeds every day for a month lowers fasting blood sugars, triglycerides, cholesterol levels, as well as bringing a significant drop in A1C level . Also flax seeds improve insulin sensitivity in glucose-intolerant people.
☺Stay tuned with new posts of this Superfood series and keep yourselves informed of the news health mantras of healing by nature.